Yesterday I drove out to Masterblend to meet with Phil and see how things were looking as regards the Miata. He had already been working on the hardtop prior to Mark and I bringing over the Miata.
I had thought that it would be handy to paint a track car in Rustoleum satin black paint. That way I would have a durable finish that – should I have a minor scrape or ding – I could quickly fix and paint out of a rattle can.
Phil was willing to try it. He tested the paint quite a few places as he prepared the car and the top. The results were not as good as I had hoped. The Rustoleum just stays too soft too long.
So it is on to a “real” automotive paint that Phil has ordered that will still be a satin black. In the mean time he has done a lot to prepare the body surface for shooting.
Mark and I had repaired a couple of major rust areas with patch panels and I had given the body a general sanding after removing the factory pinstripes and badging. This left Phil with places that still needed work. Granted this is not going to be a show car and it won’t have a shiny clear coat, but a good outcome means more work.
Hopefully Phil will start painting on Monday. At least the top is ready – after he worked on some small cracks and ensured that the top was solid. I will be out of town for a couple of days, but by the time I return I hope that Mark and I can drive out with the roll-back and get it back for some of the final mechanical work.