Building a Track Car – Oil cooler

With the engine running and in great shape it was time to add one more piece.  A good deal came up on a used Cobalt kit that relocates the oil filter to the firewall and also adds an oil cooler.  For a track car this is a very good idea as track days will have the engine winding in the upper rpm ranges all weekend long.  Keeping the oil in a lower temperature range will allow it to last longer and do its job better.

Oil cooler and filter kit

The kit with the fabricated bracket

First thing was to clean up the kit.  I used Purple Power to de-grease the hoses and the oil cooler, especially in between the fins of the cooler. 

Next was to figure out how best to mount everything.  I found Cobalt’s instructions on-line and read through them.  My kit had an additional spacer block to move the remote filter mount out from the firewall since there were ABS  lines crossing in that area.  I measured out from the fender edge the 9″ as instructed and drilled the three holes for the mount.  Later I was to regret that.

Adapter block

Adapter block to clear ABS lines

Then I disconnected the hoses from the remote mount and the oil filter adapter.  I was able to source a new o-ring for the oil filter adapter that replaces the oil filter in the stock location and mounted it.  The directions have you remove the intake manifold brace so there was plenty of room to install and tighten.  The brace went back on after the kit was completely installed.

OIl filter adapter

Adapter in place of the filter and a hose going to the new oil filter remote mount

With the adapter in place I ran the hose to the remote filter mount.  It was then I discovered that I had to relocate the mount on the firewall to make clearance for the hose.  More holes.

Remote mount

Moving the remote to a better location

I had previously found a mounting spot in front of the radiator for the oil cooler and I took a piece of right angle aluminum and fabricated a mount.  I bolted the cooler to the aluminum and used some nylon isolators at the mounting points.

Nylon isolators

The assembly was bolted up in front of the radiator and I ran the two hoses around the lower right side of the radiator having one lead up to the remote filter mount on the firewall. 

Once again I discovered that I would have to adjust the mount’s placement on the firewall.  Too many holes.  I found some scrap 18 gauge steel and fabricated a good-sized backing plate to ensure that the mount had plenty to hold on to.

Backing plate - makes it strong

Now the hoses hooked up to the remote filter mount and had the proper clearance.  Down below I ran the last hose from the oil cooler to the filter adapter on the engine block.  A careful visual inspection made certain that the hoses would not be subject to chaffing and they were secured with nylon tie wraps.

Mount complete

The engine was started and  the car put up in the air and checked for leaks.  There were none.  It was hard to believe.

Draining the old oil

When the engine was warmed up it was shut off and the oil was drained.  Since this was a used kit it was best to flush out the system and put new oil in.  A new K&N oil filter was screwed in and five and a half quarts of Castrol 10W-30 Synthetic with their “Titanium” was used.  The engine was started again and checked for leaks.  None.  All was good.

Oil cooler in place and the new bumper cover getting attached

I could now install the new front bumper cover.

Reminds me of a shark mouth - with no teeth

This entry was posted in Automobiles, Car Stuff, Care and Feeding, Cars, Life and Cars, Modifying Cars, Racing, Road Racing, Sports Cars. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s